Many of us are on a budget when it comes to purchasing a
new smartphone. We want a good phone that does what we need it to do but may not have the money to buy a flagship phone (which can cost well over $600). If you find yourself in that situation, have no fear, Scott is here. I have created a list of some great smartphones with great performance as well as capability for under $300. Being a student it is hard to spit out over $600 for a phone while you have to pay your tuition and all the other expenses that student life comes with. This is a perfect list for if you’re looking to buy a smartphone on budget
1. Moto G ($179, $219 on LTE) The original Moto G launched last year and it is by far the best smartphone you can buy for under $200. In June, Motorola introduced a LTE variant of the phone and was asking for only $219 for it; which is still below $300. Here is why I put it as number one on this list; first, the new Moto G comes with a micro SD card support which clearly makes it a great choice. Second, it comes with the latest Android KitKat (4.4) with close to no modification to the OS. You get the vanilla android experience with this device. It also comes with a 4.5 inch 720p display and a Snapdragon 400 quad core processor for snappy performance. This is a mid-tier phone with a price tag that puts it above its competitors. The performance on the phone is great; you will have no trouble getting your daily tasks done. The battery is also exceptional getting a 2 days worth of battery life with normal use easily. The Moto G is clearly the best phone you can buy in that price range.
2. Moto E ($129) With the Moto G, Motorola set the benchmark for budget smartphones but took the price even lower with the Moto E. With a lower price tag you do get lower specs but this doesn’t mean the Moto E performs sluggishly. The performance on the Moto E is as smooth as you would expect with Android KitKat being optimized for lower end devices. Although, it is an impressive phone it might be worth it to pay a little extra for the Moto G. Mainly because the Moto E only comes with 4GB onboard storage so you’ll run out of app space quite easily. Moto E also sports an SD card slot for up to 32 GB of storage. It comes with a Dual Core Snapdragon 200 processor clocked in at 1.2 GHz and 1GB or RAM
3. Galaxy S3 Mini ($220+) This is the smaller version of the ever so successful Galaxy S3. It’s a cheap and viable option if you’re looking to upgrade your handset, or get a new one for under $300. It keeps the same design language as the Galaxy S3, at the same time this little guy is pretty powerful thanks to the NovaThor U8420 1GHz dual-core processor and 1GB of ram. Overall, it’s a solid under $300 smartphone
4. Asus Zenfone 5 ($230) This phone was unveiled by Asus at CES as part of their affordable line of smartphones that come with pretty good specs. The Zenfone 5 is in between their low end Zenfone 4 and their most powerful device in this category, the Zenfone 6. The Zenfone 5 comes with a 2 GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2580 CPU and a 5 inch HD display. This phone is listed at $230 on Amazon Canada but you might be able to find it for below $200 if you search around.
5. Sony Xperia L ($212) Sony is known for their great camera and display, and they have implemented that in their Xperia line very well. You will find some of the high-end Xperia phones, like the Xperia Z can be found on top shelves of any smartphone seller, however, for the budget oriented consumer the Sony Xperia L is a very capable phone with great specs. This phone comes with a 1 GHz Qualcomm MSM8230 dual-core processor and 1GB of ram, a beautiful 4.3 inch display and a 8MP camera
For more smartphone ideas, follow us on
Twitter , Google+ , Tumblr, Instagram and on Facebook